How to opt out an individual
Occasionally, a subscriber will email you directly and ask you to opt them out, rather than using the opt-out link provided in the footer of your mailing. In such cases, it's your responsibility to honor such requests before any additional mailings go out.
- From the main Audience page, use the search box in the upper-right corner to locate the contact's email address.
- Choose View this contact's record from the options menu beside the contact's name.
- Change the mailing status from Active to Opt-out, and Save.
How to opt out en masse
You can easily import or mark a larger group of people as opted out, which is helpful if you're coming to us from another service or have a list of people marked as "unsubscribe" in your own database.
- Start by importing your list of email addresses into its own audience group. (If they're already in your audience, just copy them to their own group.)
- Use the toolbar at the top of the audience list to select all contacts.
- Click change their status to switch their status from Active to Opt-out.
How to opt out of some but not all emails
Subscribers may want to change their group membership in your account so that they receive, say, your monthly newsletters but not your annual fundraising drive emails. You can give them this opportunity to "opt out" of some emails but not all emails by linking to the manage preferences form within your email.
To be clear, they will not be opting out as described in the above two guides, meaning removing their email address so they never receive emails again from your account. If that's what they want, take one of the above routes. If they want to simply change or manage the types of emails they prefer to receive from you, proceed on:
- Go to your Audience page, and edit your group names to be names you want your subscribers to see. Use names that reflect the type of emails you're sending those groups, like Monthly newsletter or Annual fundraising drive.
- Click to edit your signup form. Click the add or remove groups button.
- Check Display next to each group your recipients should see as an option.
Click Save. Your signup form, in edit mode, will now show these options.
- Save your signup form. You saved signup form, when published, will look like this:
- Now jump into your email on the Campaigns page, highlight the text in your email that should lead to this form, and click the link icon in the toolbar.
- Enter [% manage_url %] into the URL field, and click Insert.
- When on the Review & Send page of your email, be sure to select the signup form you edited.
- Now, when the recipient clicks that text in your email, they'll be taken to the form where they can check and uncheck boxes next to your audience group options to change their membership.
We will remember your contacts' opt-out status even if you delete those contacts and import them again later. This helps you stay compliant with the CAN-SPAM law that governs commercial email, so it's important to use the opt-out feature to manage your unsubscribe lists instead of just deleting them.