Adding social media icons to your mailings with the social sharing feature takes just a few seconds, but it can increase your mailing's reach and help you identify your most avid followers. Who knew all of that could be as simple as pushing a couple of buttons?
If you’re new to this whole email plus social networks thing -- or if you know your way around Twitter and Facebook but just aren’t sure whether you want to try our social sharing feature -- take a look at these reasons we think it’s worth doing.
- Harness the reach of social media. A single share can be really powerful because of the number of followers that one email recipient can reach. How powerful could this be, you ask? Well, according to researchers at Facebook, Cornell and the University of Michigan, the average Facebook user has 234 friends (current as of December 31, 2011). Quite simply, that means that every 1,000 email subscribers represents a potential audience of 234,000 people! (Actually it’s exponentially more than that because shared content can be shared further once it’s in the network.)
- Share the idea of, well, sharing. You may have readers who are already active on social networks and just haven’t considered how their followers and friends could benefit from your content. It’s a simple idea, but adding the icons to your emails helps connect those dots for your audience members who just haven’t thought to share your mailings with their contacts.
- Grow your email list. This may seem obvious, but when your content is shared on social networks, it’s typically being shared with a group of people who share common interests, so it’s already likely relevant. With that in mind, we’ve made it easy for them to sign up from the landing page if they’re interested in getting future emails from you. So not only might your email get shared … but you might also gain new subscribers.
- Pave a road that's already being traveled. Even if you haven’t seen it, your recipients might already be sharing your content. The social sharing icons simply give them a shortcut to doing it easily. For an interesting case study in measuring the additional traffic from shared email content, take a peek at the story of SmartBrief in this MarketingSherpa article.
- Pinpoint your most loyal fans. Having your audience share your content is quite an honor, of course, so you may want to provide something special for folks who regularly share or help you spread an important message. Check out your Response page to see who's sharing -- and on which platforms -- to see who your most loyal fans are.